Harrick Plasma → Job Postings →
Harrick Plasma is a leading manufacturer of benchtop plasma instruments and has been providing plasma devices to academic and R&D labs globally for over 30 years. As such, our instruments have been cited in over 5000 technical articles and nearly 300 patents. Visit our Harrick Plasma website and Applications page for more information.
Job Title: Product Engineering Manager
Location: Ithaca, NY/Hybrid
The Product Engineering Manager will manage and schedule the technical tasks to develop new products from first design to final manufacturing, and to improve the existing product line. This includes:
- Collaborate with the production and technical sales team to create, develop, and maintain cost effective, high performing, and robust products.
- Work closely and communicate effectively with external product design firms and internal engineering/production team to help drive development of new products and optimize features in existing products to meet customer needs.
- Manage and execute all phases of product development, including new mechanical and electrical design specification and review, manufacturing process support, and product life-cycle support.
- Manage and execute prototype testing, customer beta-testing, and final product testing to prepare for manufacturing.
- Generate detailed written technical reports throughout the product design and development process.
- Monitor and keep informed of any intellectual property (IP) development and regulatory requirements and compliance testing across the entire product line.
- Develop and maintain product strategy and initiatives that support the company’s overall business goals.
- Minimum B.S. Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (M.S./MEng. preferred).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in electrical product design and development in manufacturing setting
- Preferred: Experience in electrical circuit design and development, including:
- Knowledge of RF amplifier design and matching networks, microcontrollers, general analog and digital circuits, and power supplies.
- Experience with designing, implementing, and debugging electronic circuits, printed circuit boards (PCB), and embedded firmware code.
- Knowledge of PCB design and test practices.
- Experience with electronic design software packages for schematic capture and PCB layout (Altium or others).
- Proficiency with operating electronic test equipment (digital multimeter, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer).
- Hands-on experience with mechanical and electrical testing of products
- Ability to design systems and components in various production materials (sheet metal, plastics, glass).
- Knowledge of CAD software (Solidworks or others).
- Knowledge of C++ programming language and ability to write, modify, and debug firmware code for microcontrollers.
- Ability to problem-solve and debug hardware-firmware-related issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Work authorization required.
- Highly self-motivated and a “finisher” who is committed to developing a product from first design to prototype to final manufacturable product.
- Flexibility and versatility to shift among different tasks to support and contribute to evolving business operations.
- Communicate regularly and collaborate effectively with internal team members, outside consulting firms, and parts vendors.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills.
- Attention to detail in written documentation of product design and development.
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and tasks.