PDMS Bonding (Microfluidic Device Fabrication)
You Will Need
- Installed Harrick Plasma Cleaner (All 3 Harrick Plasma Cleaners have been used for PDMS bonding applications)
- Gas Compatible Pump
(Minimum pumping speed of 23 L/min)
- PDMS Microfluidic Devices
- Glass Slide
PROCESS CONDITIONS: 200 mTorr, High, 50 seconds
- GAS: Air or Oxygen from a cylinder
- Do not touch surfaces to be bonded. Particulates or contamination disrupt bond formation.
- Heat the assembled device at 80-100 degrees Celsius for 60 seconds (Hot Plate or Oven). The high temperature provides activation energy for additional bond formation.
PROCEDURE FOR PLASMA TREATMENT:
- Insert samples into chamber
- Turn on main Power to allow vacuum tubes to warm up.
- In the meantime, pump down for 1-2 minutes or to your desired vacuum pressure.
- Open the metering valve or needle valve to your desired setting or pressure.
- Allow the pressure to stabilize for 10-30 s.
- Turn on RF power to desired level.
- After 5-10 seconds, you should observe a purple-pink glow (if using air) when you look into the chamber.
- Start timing the plasma treatment once you see the plasma glow. Run the process for x seconds.
- Turn off the RF power and main power.
- Turn off the pump and slowly vent the chamber. *
- Open door and remove samples from the chamber.
* Opening the vent too quickly may cause lighter and more fragile samples (Glass Slides) to move and break inside the chamber